NEW from Robert Sorby for Autumn 2012!
The Robert Sorby TurnMaster has been a development to help combine ideas for both the new and the experienced turner.
This turning system offers a quick and easy approach to creating simple projects by employing tungsten carbon cutting technology as well as Sorby's existing cutting edge materials - titanium nitride and high speed steel. This leads to less time spent sharpening your tools. Tungsten carbide allows for this, whilst being sharp this material does not sharpen to the same degree as titanium nitride and the razor like capabilities offered by high speed steel ( it's all down to how the metal particle size).
The TurnMaster is the first turning tool in the world to offer woodturners the choice of three cutting edge materials - all available for this one tool! This flexibility combines unmatched value with the Sorby quality guarantee. The 3 cutters are offered in Tungsten Carbide, Titanium Nitride (TiN) and High Speed Steel (HSS).
One of the great features of the TurnMaster is the patented indexed head. This provides 3 settings for flat and shear scraping, allowing the tool to work at angles that shear through the fibres of timber providing less "tear out" of the grain; resulting in the need for little sanding.
This tool also offers the simplicity of changing cutters using a super high tensile T20 torx screw and key giving a good positive purchase between key and screw that is far less likely to strip than a traditional hex key and screw. An even faster option would be to have multiple heads with cutters already set. The choice is yours!
The concept of the tools is to give turners the ultimate flexibility to provide a scraping system that turners can tailor to their own specific needs. The tool is available unhandled so that this can fit the Sovereign System also. Cutter heads, cutters, tool shanks and handles are all also available separately.
The TurnMaster is available in the following versions and parts to suit the varying needs of the woodturner:
1. Tungsten Carbide - The tool is available with any one of the 3 cutters (Round, Square and detailed) or with the option of all three. Available Handled or Unhandled.
Tungsten Carbide doesn't need sharpening as such but are more of a throwaway* cutter designed to make lightwork of tough and difficult material but also offer the ability to detail and finish resistant woods. (* sharpening may be done using diamond and CBN abrasives)
2. High Speed Steel - This choice comes with 3 HSS cutters (Round, Detailed, and Square). A further four are available: French curve, dovetail, teardrop and mushroom. Available Handled or Unhandled.
This material can be easily sharpened to create an ultra sharp edge. This steel provides unmatched quality for the discerning woodturner keen on getting the greatest detail from their tools.
3. Titianium Nitride cutters available: round, detailed, square, French curve, dovetail, teardrop and mushroom.
TiN cutters give added longevity before sharpening is required. These cutters are TiN plasma coated onto HSS providing the turner with a choice of seven job-specific tips. These cutters will sharpen easily providing a cutting edge much sharper than tungsten carbide.
The patented indexable head is available without cutters to allow the option of quickly interchanging tools for specific jobs without having to change cutters - much cheaper than buying another tool.
* Cutters in 3 types of material - Tungsten Carbide, Titanium Nitride (TiN) and High Speed Steel (HSS)
* Patented indexable head allows for 3 lock tight positions
* Interchangeable cutter head - allows for greater tool flexibility
* Flat underside for added tool stability
* Torx screw and key allows for faster cutter replacement
* Unique locking spanner ensures collar security
* A Tommy bar allows for easy loosening
* Available with American ash handles or as an unhandled option
* Unhandled version is compatible with the Sorby Sovereign handle system
* All cutters interchangeable with one tool - giving cost effective versatility
* Choice of job specific cutters
* Quick and easy cutter change
* Cutter head available separately - giving even more tool versatility
* Cutter head adjustment allows for scraping and shear scraping
* A well balanced tool with enough mass to curb vibration
List of cutters and their uses:
RSTM-CT1 - Round Tungsten Carbide - for removing internal waste and shaping
RSTM-CT2 - Detail Point Tungsten Carbide - for line detailing and finishing
RSTM-CT3 - Square Tungsten Carbide - for initial external waste removal and straight edge shaping
RSTM-TIP1 - HSS Round - for internal waste removal, shaping and finishing
RSTM-TIP2 - HSS Detail Point - for line detailing and finishing
RSTM-TIP3 - Hss Square - for external waste removal, straight edge sharpening and finishing
RSTM-TIP4 - HSS French Curve/Inside - for internal shaping and finishing
RSTM-TIP5 - HSS Box/Dovetail - for parallel side walls, perfect for box making and creating dovetails
RSTM-TIP6 - HSS Teardrop/Inside/Outside - perfect for scraping/shear scraping inside and outside
RSTM-TIP7 - HSS Mushroom - for undercutting small hollow forms
RSTM-GT1 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior Round - Internal waste removal, shaping and finishing
RSTM-GT2 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior Detail Point - for line detailing and finishing
RSTM-GT3 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior Square - for external waste removal, straight edge shaping and finishing
RSTM-GT4 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior French Curve/Inside - for internal shaping and finishing
RSTM-GT5 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior Box/Dovetail - for parallel side walls, perfect for box making and creating dovetails
RSTM-GT6 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior Teardrop/Inside/Outside - perfect for scraping/shear scraping inside and outside
RSTM-GT7 - TiN coated HSS Excelsior Mushroom - for undercutting small hollow forms
RSTM-HEAD TurnMaster head only - No cutter - spare head for fitting additional cutters for extra versatility
All prices are shown exclusive of VAT