1. Home
  2. View Cart
  3. Checkout
World of Woodworking
Tel: +44 (0) 114 2725387
Fax: +44 (0) 114 2725389


Some terminology I thought may be useful to you....

Saw terminology:

Heel: The end closest to the handle

Toe: The end farthest from the handle

Front: The side with the teeth (the bottom edge)

Back: Opposite the front (! Top edge)

Teeth: Small sharp points along the cutting edge of the saw

Gullet: Valley between the points of the teeth

Fleam: The angle of the faces of the teeth relative to a line perpendicular to the face of the saw

Rake: The angle of the front face of the tooth relative to a line perpendicular to the length of the saw. Teeth designed to cut with the grain (known as Ripping) are generally steeper than teeth designed to cut across the grain (Crosscutting)

Teeth Per Inch (TPI): A common measurement if the amount of teeth residing in any one inch length of the saw blade.

Kerf: Width of the saw cut. On most saws, the kerf is wider than the saw blade because the teeth are flared out sideways (the "set"). This allows the blade to move through the cut easily without getting stuck (binding). However, some saws only have set on one side or non at all depending on what the saw's intended use is, ie a Flush Cutting Saw, where the saw needs to be flat against the wood's surface without scratching.

: a cut made at (or near) a right angle to the direction of the grain of the workpiece. A crosscut saw is needed for this cut.

Rip cut: a cut made parallel to the direction of the grain of the workpiece. A rip saw is needed for this type of cut.